Monday, January 2, 2012

Coleslaw

coleslaw.
Although I'm unemployed, it seems I am rarely home and it is depressing when I watch an entire case of baby spinach go to mush before it is opened. What I need is an appetizing, affordable and nutritional food in my fridge that will stay good  for a week. I need coleslaw. 
I almost always have coleslaw in my fridge. It is the perfect food for a number of reasons. Cabbage, carrots and onions are cheap and available all year round. They last forever in your fridge and so do the other ingredients necessary for slaw: mayonnaise and vinegar. Once you make your slaw, it will last up to a week. Red cabbage, carrots and onions are packed with nutrients. Of course, as soon as any vegetable is picked, plucked, cut, or cooked it begins to lose its nutritional value, but coleslaw is still better than KD. 
My recipe: 
1/2 red cabbage, shredded
2 carrots, grated
1 kholrabi, peeled ( optional. It is another healthy veg that stays fresh for a long time)
1-2tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tbsp mayonainse
salt and pepper
Stir it all together and eat. The next day, stir again before eating and it will be even better than day one!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!