Thursday, September 8, 2011

Can't Wait for Those Peaches to Ripen?

Every Ontarian knows that it is peach season and we all have the sticky, smiley faces to prove it.

But living alone, one has got to be creative when finding a way to eat through a basket of peaches. They were just $2.77 at No Frills, but not one peach was ripe.

What to do!?



That night, I made a wonderful slaw of Ontario Kholrabi, cucumber and carrots (apple cider vinegar dressing) to accompany my "40-garlic-clove-chicken". I had bought a little Hallal chicken ("Hand Slaughtered" it said on the packaging) for $5 and smothered it with a bulb's worth of crushed Ontario garlic. I also bought a giant bag of rice and put some on the stove.

Suddenly, I craved a sweet and sour sauce for my Asian-ish dinner.

I grabbed two unripe peaches and chopped them up. I threw them into a little pot with about 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar and about the same amount of white sugar. I let the peaches simmer and once they had softened, I used my hand blender to puree the sauce. I tasted it, and added a bit of salt.

Since I was craving that glossy, sticky clear sauce, I decided to go one step further and strain it. I used the back of a spoon to rub the pureed peaches through the sieve and voila!

Dinner was delicious and I found a way to enjoy unripe peaches!

1 comment:

  1. Adding some garlic, ginger and/or lemon zest to your sauce will increase the flavor profile. Or for a more western fusion try basil. Just tipping a glorious peach sauce over the edge turning it into the star of the dish!

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!